Friday, May 8, 2009

Last Supper

Episodes I've Seen So Far: (Season Two: "Over the Rainbow", "There's No Place Like Plrtz Girb". All of Seasons Three and Four [Except for "Peace Out"]. Season Five up through "Time Bomb".)

What a trip this has been! My beloved Wesley Wyndam-Pryce is going to die on TV tomorrow morning, and I feel like I'll be having my Last Supper tonight. What a hell of a way to start off Mother's Day weekend!

I've always been guilty of looking ahead to see what's going to happen next in the Angel series. As I've mentioned many times before, I've always been surprised at how, even though I love sunshine and happy endings, my favorite moments of the series usually turn out to be some of the more tragic scenes, usually involving Wesley.

Will Alexis Denisof pull it off for me yet one more time? When Wesley dies, will that be a scene that I review over and over again over the next several days? Or will I just watch it once and be done with it? I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Through a horrible piece of programming, the very last Angel episode will air tomorrow morning, to be immediately followed by the very first episode. The good news is that with Sunday being an off day for Angel on TNT, I'll be able to watch the last episode, "Not Fade Away" on Saturday, reflect on it for an entire day, then watch the recorded version of the first episode. "City of" late in the day on Sunday. I'm glad that Wesley did not appear until later on in the first season, so I'll have a little chance to regroup my thoughts. I still plan on seeing all of the Glenn Quinn/Doyle episodes, however.

I had a lovely surprise in "Origin" yesterday, when all of those memories came flooding back to Wesley after he broke the spell of the Orlon Window. About a hundred or so little scenes from the last few seasons flashed by on the TV show, including a lot of wonderful shots of Wesley as he changed over those years. (Oh, and Wesley. About those glasses? Leave them on!)

I'm loving everything that is happening between Wesley and Illyria. I think it's tragic the series ended prematurely just because of that angle alone. I'm sure I'll be posting more thoughts about Illyria soon. (Though oddly enough, I think I'd like to see Illyria and Spike get together.)

I thought I'd end this post by focusing on the one aspect of the series I've been horribly neglecting, and that's the character of Angel himself. (Not to mention how David Boreanaz is a wonderful actor who had the thankless task of being the main workhorse on the show.)

I throw the word "love" around pretty loosely, but I truly believe there was a lot of love and affection between Angel and Wesley. They respected each other, with Wesley always being able to approach Angel as somewhat of an equal. Angel knew he couldn't get along without Wesley, both as a team member and as a friend. That friendship was severely tested at times, but always endured.

Here are some of my favorite Angel/Wesley moments. (I chose not to include the links to each piece of dialogue because I'm too lazy to do so, but you can find the dialogue easily enough at the Buffyverse Dialogue Database).

There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb - Too much dialogue to copy, but I loved the part where Wesley assured Angel that he would be able to return back from the darkness after he defeated the Groosalug. "We know you're a man with a demon inside, not the other way around."

Dad - Wesley to Angel: "And seeing as you once nearly had sex on my desk I shouldn't be surprised that now there is a baby on it."

Couplet - For some reason I can't seem to find the part I'm thinking of in the Buffyverse Database, but I do remember how Angel was smarting after losing Cordelia to Groosalug, and Wesley was trying to get over losing Fred to Gunn. They were sharing somewhat of a quiet moment commiserating. (Although I can't remember if Angel realized that Wesley was in love with Fred at that time.)

Quickening - When Wesley (while performing an ultrasound on Darla) warmly told Angel he was going to have a boy.

Deep Down - Probably the most moving scenes of all between the two of them. First during the imaginary banquet, when the last character we saw at the table was Wesley, signifying that although Angel deserted Wesley after Wesley kidnapped Connor, Angel still loved Wesley deeply. The banquet would not have been complete without Wes. The second scene was when Wesley brought Angel from his watery grave back up to the surface, and particularly, when Wesley cut open his own arm to feed Angel his blood as the ultimate sign of friendship.

Players - When Angel told Wesley Angelus did not kill Lilah, and he was sorry for his loss.

Inside Out - Angel: Wes, Lilah and I weren't exactly friends—
Wesley: You were mortal enemies. Why should you care what happened to her?
Angel: Because you did.

Lineage - Angel to Wesley: You do what you have to do to protect the people around you. To do what you know is right, regardless of the cost. You know, I never really understood that. You're the guy who makes all the hard decisions, even if you have to make 'em alone.

Smile Time - The whole scene where Wesley chews out Angel for missing Nina's signals that she's attracted to Angel, and for hiding behind that "gypsy curse".

Shells - The whole scene where Angel, in a rare moment where he really pulls rank on Wesley, (besides trying to smother him with a pillow), shoves him to the wall and says "I don't remember seeing 'Stab Gunn' on the agenda this morning!"

Origin - Angel to Wesley: "When was the last time you slept? You're not her savior. I need you here, working, not off drinking yourself into a coma, chasing ghosts. Fred's dead, Wes. You're still alive. Start acting like it."

No comments: