Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Me

Episodes I've Seen So Far, In Order: (Season Two: "Over the Rainbow", "There's No Place Like Plrtz Girb". All of Seasons Three and Four [Except for "Peace Out"]. All of Season Five. All of Season One. Season Two: "Judgment" through "Dead End", with the exception of "The Thin Dead Line", which TNT opted not to air).


Tomorrow will mark an anniversary for me of sorts when TNT rebroadcasts Angel's "Over the Rainbow". That was the episode that started it all for me when I witnessed Wesley's "Eureka" moment.

I not only fell in love with Wesley Wyndam-Pryce and Alexis Denisof at that time in late March of this year, I also fell in love with the entire cast and the cast of characters. As you can tell from my list of "Episodes I've Seen So Far" from above, I missed two of the shows from the Pylea arc. I can't wait to see these two episodes, since it will help me fill in some of the gaps from my basic introduction to the series.

I have some huge decisions I'll have to make pretty quickly. Now that I've seen most of the episodes, will I continue to watch Angel close to two hours every day? Will I keep recording all of the episodes to watch later in the day, or will I pick and choose which ones I keep for posterity? I'd love to get the lost hours back into my life, but I feel that there are so many important things that I missed the first time around. Since I started watching the show beginning with the very late Season 2 episodes, Seasons 3 through 5 could start making a lot more sense to me now that I've seen Seasons 1 and 2.

I've written a large number of blog posts over the last few months, but all I can focus on are the ones I haven't written. I desperately need to do a tribute to Andy Hallett, who passed away just a few short days before I discovered the series. I still haven't written definitive recaps of most of the seasons, and I'm currently thinking of the similarities between Angel's crises of faith in Season 2 and Season 5. I'd still love to write a huge post about my appreciation of David Boreanaz and what the character of Angel means to me and my life. Almost from Day 1 I've wanted to write a post on Gunn and his search for his specific role within the group, and I have a lot of catch up to do with the ever-fascinating Christian Kane character, Lindsey McDonald.

I could talk forever about Wesley and Lilah, and I still want to explore the evolution of Wes and Cordy's relationship. I've hardly even mentioned Wesley and Justine, and I've barely scratched the surface about the possibilities surrounding Wesley and Illyria. Finally, it would be fun to do a comparison post about Wesley's relationship with all of his women.

What a wonderful journey it's been for me so far, and I have to thank Joss Whedon and his production staff for providing us with such a wonderful series to enjoy. (Also, please give a huge round of applause to TNT for continuously airing the series.) Whedon and his staff put a lot of depth and of layers of complexity into Angel, which allows us to find something new with each viewing. It also seems like a series that we can grow up with. We can possibly put Angel on the shelf for a few years, dust it off, and be amazed at how we can watch it with a completely different perspective as go through the different stages of our lives.

Probably the biggest gift the creators gave us was not allowing Angel to provide us with any easy answers. Whedon and his writers challenged us viewers to try to work things out on our own. In a way, viewers must continuously struggle with their motivations and moral decisions the same as Angel and the rest of the characters. We've learned that we'll never turn back evil, but we still fight. As Angel said so succinctly, "...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do....."

No comments: