Friday, August 7, 2009

To Spoil or Not To Spoil

I found out in my Google Alerts yesterday that: Alexis Denisof started his first day of shooting Dollhouse on Wednesday, August 5, and so far, he is signed up for 4 episodes (via Alyson Hannigan's Twitter page); he's going to play a U.S. senator named Daniel Perrin, and will be a "thorn in the side" of the Dollhouse and Rossum Corp. (per EW/Popwatch); some people are guessing that, from his first day of shooting, his first appearance will be in the 2nd episode, and a lot of people prefer his British accent over his American accent (per Whedonesque).

As is probably painfully obvious from the rest of my blog, I've never been into pop culture in a huge way. Following actors and TV shows is a new experience for me, and I'm trying to set up my own set of ground rules. Like anyone else, I want to be surprised when I watch a first-run TV episode, but I can't help but look at spoilers when they start showing up on the different internet feeds. As much as I want to approach each episode fresh, if it turns out Alexis' character is going to have his throat slit and he's hung by his heels to let the blood drain out, I kind of want to know that ahead of time so I can avoid watching the show.

I also know that fake spoilers can be leaked out to the public. Although I always want to be pleasantly surprised when things turn out better than I had hoped, I certainly don't want to be disappointed if things turn out worse.

Reading the spoilers at Wikipedia and every other place else online was probably the only thing that got me through the Angel series, particularly starting with Season 3. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce suffered one tragedy after another throughout the series, and knowing that good things would start happening again to him gave me the strength to keep on going. (Like, hooking up with Lilah after being banished from the team.) The last thing I want to do is waste my time by sitting down and watching a disappointing TV show.

Other commenters are hoping that Alexis' character will kindle some sort of romance with Amy Acker's character. I feel horrible enough as it is for admitting my feelings about this matter, but dear God, NO! Having Wesley pining for Fred was one of those painful things I had to endure throughout the Angel series. I don't even want the two of them to show up in the same scenes together in Dollhouse. If anything, I want Alexis to spend all of his time with Eliza Dushku!

I don't care if Alexis is a good guy or a bad guy on Dollhouse. I just want to like his performance. I noticed a lot of negative comments in the articles that I linked to above about his natural voice. In listening to his YouTube interviews, I personally think he has a wonderful voice! But please don't let him be some sort of fake yahoo-twang Senator from Tennessee or Texas, like at least one commenter is hoping. And if there's fighting to be done, I want Alexis involved. I don't want him to send one of his aides to do his dirty work.

No comments: