Thursday, November 5, 2009

Angel Recommendations

Angel DVD Sets. I'm not sure if this is a national promotion or not, but I noticed today that my local Target store (in the Detroit area) was selling Angel Seasons 1&2 and Seasons 3&4 DVD sets for $14.99 (or $14.88, I forget) each. This was about $5.00 off the regular price for each set, for a total savings of $10.00. I figure if you go ahead and spend $30.00 for the Seasons 1-4 sets, and spend another $30.00 at Amazon for Season 5, you're saving a pretty good bundle off the regular price of $115.00 at Amazon for the Seasons 1-5 Collectors Set.

Amazon will periodically lower the price on the Collectors Set during their 1-day only sales. I recently picked up the set for $52.99, but I've seen it cheaper than that before. I can't give you a frequency on how often the Collectors Set goes on sale, but I've noticed it happening twice over the last 3-4 months or so. The people at Whedonesque seem to be good with providing us with sales updates.

I can't vouch for the differences in special features between the various editions. The sets on sale at Target seem to have some decent bells and whistles, but I don't know how they compare with the Collectors Set. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I'm a little disappointed with the features in the Angel Collectors Set. I don't think the Collectors Set has that much more than what the individual sets offer, with the exception of a rather nice little "signed" letter from Joss Whedon. This is just a long way of saying that if you're looking to complete a partial collection of Angel DVD's, or you can't afford to buy the Collectors Set and don't want to wait until the next Amazon sale, don't feel that you're missing much by not owning the Collectors Set.

I encourage anyone to correct me if I'm wrong or if you have any extra information to provide.

Sequential Tart. Wolfen Moondaughter has posted Part II of her "Celebrating Angel's 10th Anniversary" over at Sequential Tart. In this particular post, Wolfie got her fellow "Tarts" to share their thoughts on Angel: The Series.

I was enjoying looking at the comments, agreeing with some and disagreeing with others, which is fine because I don't expect everyone to think just like me. Then I scrolled down to Maurissa Sammy's comments and just about died laughing! This woman likes Fred about as much as I do, though I try to hide my feelings somewhat just because I feel guilty for not liking such a sweet, adorable little creature.

It's hard to pick out just one statement to lift, but this will work as well as any:
As the seasons wore on, it became clear that Fred could do no wrong and every male who trotted through the screen had to remark on her smarts or "cuteness" or whatever, and it got to the point where I would fast-forward just so I wouldn't have to see it."
I tolerate Fred perhaps a little more than Maurissa, simply because you can't avoid Fred if you're a fan of the series. Her comments still made my day though.

I've gone ahead and put a link to Sequential Tart in my teeny-tiny blogroll. The ladies there produce a:
....publication dedicated to providing exclusive interviews, in-depth articles and news, while working towards raising the awareness of women's influence in the comics industry and other realms.
Their site seems ideal for a woman like me who is just starting to dip her toes into this genre.

No comments: