Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dollhouse Finally Cancelled

What can I say about Dollhouse's cancellation? I had not-so-high hopes that the series would continue on, yet I'm not surprised that it's turning into a mid-season casualty. Abysmal ratings speak louder than anything.

Apparently, all 13 episodes will air, with the last episode supposedly airing on January 22, 2010.

Although I have enjoyed watching most of Season 2, I must admit that the only way I would be heartbroken by the cancellation is if Alexis Denisof had become a regular cast member. As it is, his two remaining episodes should be airing back-to-back on December 4, 2009, so I at least have that to look forward to.

I looked forward to watching Dollhouse every week, but I never fell in love with it. I hate to pile on the criticism, but my biggest disappointment was that it took too long for the show to get anywhere. All of the creative floundering I'm seeing and the sense of how the series is trying to find its voice should have taken place in Season 1. (And how much of the problems were caused by network interference, we'll never know.) At best, Dollhouse provided tantalizing glimpses into its future potential. It's just too bad that the series never fully delivered. Perhaps if Dollhouse had a firm commitment for at least one full season, things would have been a lot different.

Best wishes to Eliza Dushku, Joss Whedon, and all of the other actors and creative people associated with the show. I look forward to seeing everyone's future projects.

No comments: