Thursday, December 10, 2009

Buffy's Back!

Via Whedonesque, I found out that Buffy the Vampire Slayer will return to U.S. television starting January 2010. The series will kick off January 1 on Logo with an 18-hour marathon between 6:00 am and midnight. MTV will start the series on January 10 with an "8-hour marathon starting at 11:00 am".

I'll let you look at the Sitcoms Online link referenced above for more broadcast details. Logo will give the series more extensive airtime, with MTV limiting their coverage to weekdays at 11:00 am.

I don't think I have Logo on my rock-bottom tier cable package, so it looks like MTV for me.

Will the networks air the episodes in chronological order, or will they just air them at random? If they do show the episodes in order, I assume that I'll have to somehow catch all of the shows during the marathon session, since I don't think they will re-air the marathon episodes when they start their regular broadcast schedules.

It will be a daunting task to try to view all of the marathon episodes, plus try to keep up with recording the ones in the regular timeslots. It's doable, but I'll hate having to play what could possibly be several weeks of catch-up. Which leads to me to my next dilemma. I simply don't have time to be obsessed with another series. If Buffy is as great as advertised, (I've only seen bits and pieces of the series before, but it looked great), I'll want to see all of the episodes in order.

Will I be content to just catch the series on a semi-regular basis as time permits, like how I was hooked on Charmed for a while? Or will I instantly know that I have to watch each and every episode so that I'll gain maximum enjoyment, like what happened to me with Angel?

In a way, I'm hoping MTV does just air random episodes. It would help my daily schedule and my sanity a great deal.

This will present a good opportunity for me to fill in some of my appalling knowledge gaps in the Buffyverse. (Buying the entire Buffy series on DVD is not in the cards for me at this time.) This will also give me a chance to compare my interpretations of the Angel series before and after seeing Buffy. In the meantime, I'm not looking forward to seeing my husband roll his eyes when I tell him the good news.

UPDATE January 4, 2010: I just found out per Sitcoms Online that Buffy the Vampire Slayer will not start with a marathon session on MTV on January 10, 2010 or on any other day. Instead, the series will simply start its daily airings on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 11:00 am, unless the network schedulers change their minds again. WHEW! That's actually a relief for me, since I really don't have time to start getting obsessed with Buffy at the moment.

No comments: