Friday, February 12, 2010

Treat for Buffyverse Fans

Buffyverse fans are blessed with an enormous treasure trove of literature to choose from for their reading pleasure. It almost seems as though every Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel fan in the world has published or posted something at one time or another. Trying to keep track of all of these works can be a daunting prospect, but Lane County (Oregon) Community College reference librarian Don Macnaughtan is certainly up to the task. He is currently hard at work compiling his Bibliographic Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which is slated to be published by McFarland & Co. in 2011.

According to Macnaughtan's website, Navigating the Buffyverse, his goal is to produce "... a complete guide to everything published. I have collected & annotated thousands of items, and I am beating the bushes for any stray work that may still be out there." I'll let you look at his site for the types of works he's looking for, and for information on how to contact him if you have any items that might be suitable for inclusion in his bibliography.

I am absolutely astonished at the large number of exceptional Buffyverse works that are out there. According to an email exchange I had with Macnaughtan, he thought that with the exception of Star Trek, there probably aren't too many other TV shows out there that generate as much commentary as Buffy.

My own Buffyverse collection is starting to get large enough for me to start thinking about buying a pair of bookends. After his Bibliographic Guide is published, I hope I'll eventually have to buy a whole new bookcase.

No comments: