Thursday, December 16, 2010

Top Angel Episodes Reprise

Whedonesque is currently featuring a thread based on the recent Syfy/UK blog post, "Top Five Angel Episodes". Naturally, readers are chiming in with their Top Five or So favorites. This is still kind of early in the game, but so far I'm struck by the fact that Season 5 episodes seem to be faring quite well.

Here's a Top 10 list of favorite episodes that I compiled back in July 2009, plus a Top 6 Story Arc list companion piece I did a few weeks later. My lists would definitely be different today, but I don't obsess over that too much since my favorites change all of the time depending on my mood.

Without putting too much thought into this, here is yet one more list from me, (in chronological order), Top 5 Criminal Omissions From My Top Favorites Lists:
  1. "Darla" (Season 2), with all of those wonderful flashback sequences plus a magnificent performance from Julie Benz.
  2. "Dead End" (Season 2), the episode that proved that the series just wasn't big enough for both David Boreanaz and Christian Kane.
  3. "Waiting in the Wings" (Season 3), which is absolutely the loveliest episode of the entire series. (Technically I included this in what I called an ill-defined Cordelia arc of early Season 3. However, "Waiting in the Wings" certainly deserves its own top spot on a podium.)
  4. "Apocalypse, Nowish" (Season 4), a very taut, exciting piece of storytelling that managed to rise way above its basic everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink approach.
  5. "Not Fade Away" (Season 5). The only thing wrong with this series finale episode is that I like the preceding episode "Power Play" just a little bit more.
Any thoughts from anyone out there?

No comments: